Thursday, April 5, 2012

Aha Blog 4: The Purpose of Ads

After having listened to most of my classmates present chapters of the book we have been reading and after having heard much discussion about how oblivious we sometimes are I decided that I would try to become at interpreting, and making meaning from information presented in the form of images. 

Mother and Daughter Washing Hands
During one of the presentations they showed a soap ad that showed a high-class mother and daughter. Prior to having taken this class I would have glanced at that image, smelled the soap and decided from there whether or not I would buy it. I know realize that that soap is being marketed for the upper-class and that it is just not very realistic to look like the two of them looked or to have a bathroom like that for me. The soap ad is not a big deal, but it is just an example of what companies do to sell their products.

Nail Polish Ad
The next time I went to Wal-Mart I was very observant of what it is that the ads were trying to say about the product and what the product actually is. A friend of mine went with me and I laughed when she grabbed nail polish and said that the reason why she was getting it is because “Their ad on T.V. caught my attention, so I want to try it.” I had to give her my spiel about how the ad really doesn’t mean anything about the product, but she still went ahead and purchased the nail polish. (Which I’m pretty sure costs more than the others because of that fancy ad, but it is still of similar quality as the others).

1 comment:

  1. Did you notice how the paint job on the photo is not perfect? First I wondered if they deliberately focus on a teenagers. But it would be weird for Rimmel to show imperfection. Finally, by following the hyperlink I realized that it is www.thefingernailfiles.com blogger "visual review" of the nail polish :-)

    ReplyDelete