Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Second Life Exploration

As soon as I entered into Second Life I immediately received a message from a guy with a screen name of ___1969. That guy had not had enough time to look at my profile which I was still working on to see what age I was, so I don’t know what the intention of his message was to me. I don’t like that it is so open and if I was to do this with my class that I would have to take the chance of having to let my students explore something full of people from all over that might not have their best intentions at heart.

As I was exploring destinations I came across a place that had an image of some indecent exposure. Not only do I fear coming across inappropriate people, but now also inappropriate images. With this being out there and a chance there for my students to be able to see this, I don’t think that I would even consider it. I haven’t seen as many positive things so far as I have negative, so I am not in complete support of it.

Apart from all that, it was also very overwhelming. It felt as if I was in the middle of the world with no clue as to what I was doing or where I was going. There was so much to do and I had no idea as to where to begin.

I am hoping that with time that I will get comfortable with Second Life and that I will be able to see some pros and not just cons to it. I have to admit that I am just a little anxious about it aside from all the negative comments I have about it.

Check it out for yourself!

https://secondlife.com

1 comment:

  1. You are correct that sometimes you will find some weird people. That is why you have to be 18 to get on SL. They say 16, but I wouldn't consider it for K-12 students. It is better for professional development in a professional basis.

    Z

    ReplyDelete