Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Learning Geography and History through Second Life

As I took a tour of Ancient Civilizations I realized how beneficial this would be to my future students. Many students don’t enjoy reading text books and articles especially when learning about history. I know I always wished I could go back in time to learn what it was actually like for the people before us. Reading and researching could only do so much. For the students that struggle finding history and geography interesting Second Life would be a great tool. They are able to visit many locations and not only look at the buildings and streets, but also gain a lot of knowledge by exploring the places. Teachers could explore this even further by having students look for something in Second Life that catches their interest and then further research it.

Once again, I can’t believe how easy and fun this is! Within only a few minutes I have visited so many places. These are the places that I have learned throughout the years and this aspect makes it so much more interesting. Some may view most of these places as places to spend money, but so much more can be done with it. Teachers can just simply instruct the students to compare and contrast the clothing from certain time periods and today as well as many different things.

The possibilities are endless for exploration! I can’t wait to be able to do this with my own classroom one day. I have so many ideas floating around in my head already!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you love clothes. This is the place where you can create, purchase or trade clothes to fit your mood of the day.

    Z

    ReplyDelete