Sunday, September 25, 2011

What Education Means To Me

I came to the United States when I was eight years old. It was the toughest time in my life. I was terrified to go to school because I did not know how to speak English and I did not know anyone. My teachers at the time had absolutely no idea about what it was like to be in my shoes, but they all saw my potential. Their caring nature helped me out the most, without it I would not have gotten as far in life. They never gave up on me and kept pushing me to succeed. The teachers that I have had have been the best teachers anyone could have ever had. They have all inspired me to try hard and be the best that I can be. I want to make the same impact on my students that my teachers have made on me.

Whether they know it or not, every child walks through the school doors with the hopes of being able to walk out much wiser and ready for the real world. Parents send their children to school to learn valuable life skills that will prepare them for their future and to gain all the knowledge that they can. Students are especially able to develop their personalities in a social setting.

I hope to create a very warm climate in my classroom. I want to treat every child the same way and love them all the same. The only difference that I hope to celebrate with them is their identity. I want to make my classroom the place where every student will learn all that they can learn and walk out being ready for the real world. My wish is that they will all be the best they can be and never give up on any dream that they have.

The power of knowledge opens up one’s mind, leads them to explore worlds foreign to one self, and provides a well-rounded life. Sending children to school teaches them the basics of different subjects. In school they also begin to explore who they really are in a social setting. This is also the place they learn the importance of seeing their teachers and other school officials as being important role models in the community for them to emulate. And it all starts with them walking through the school doors full of potential and thirst for knowledge they did not even know existed.

3 comments:

  1. In China, there is a saying that goes: teachers are the engineers of human souls. Indeed, teachers guide students toward knowledge, society and life. What they do have significant impact on students’ development. Good relationship between teachers and students always motivate students study hard. It is lucky of you that met the teachers who took a good care of you and helped you succeed. And it is nice of you to return the kindness to your students. I do think children who grow up in a warm environment will make more contribution to our society in the future. That’s a virtuous cycle, which is what our educators expect to see and struggle to achieve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to experience the kind of impact that teachers can have on your life if you let them in. I chose to be a teacher because I believe it's what I was meant to do. I love to help people, I love to learn, I love to teach, and most of all I want to give every child a chance at succeeding. Every child is brilliant, but sadly not every teacher believes that. I'm so glad you had the teachers you did, Amela! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that looking back on my teachers I was never really inspired by them. At the time I thought some of them were there for the students but the reality was only a handful were, and I just didn't connect with them. I want students who go through my classrooms to feel different, special, and to remember the things we did. Great subject, and great insight about yourself for use to get to know you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete